The Art of Remembrance
October 30 - November 14, 2021
This community call for art exhibit honors those that have passed, in portraits and a community altar. This exhibition expands on the tradition of Dia de los Muertos, by including art historical and contemporary genres of portraiture and welcomes all cultural practices of remembrance.
Bring an "ofrenda" or offering for the community altar. This is something to entice the spirit of a loved one back for a visit. Your offering can be a photo, poem, note, flowers, sweet treat, miniature beverage or something that the special person loved or shared with you. Or, simply add their name to the ribbon wall.
Drop Off Artwork: Monday, October 25, from Noon - 4:00 PM
Art Entry Fee: $10 Students / $25 CAC Members/$35 Non-members for up to 3 artworks
Pick Up Artwork: November 15, Noon - 4:00 PM
OPEN CALL for ART
This is an open call for art (no juror). Exhibit artwork honoring the dead. All media, styles and subject matter welcome (family, friend, animal, public figure, etc) by artists of all ages. Invite friends to add a photo or offering to the community altar. For questions contact the Gallery Director at email@example.com
Drop Off Artwork: Saturday, Oct. 31, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm & Sunday, Nov. 1, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Art Entry Fee: $10 Students/$25 CAC Members/$35 Non-members for up to 3 artworks
*Our volunteers will be on site to accept entries on the drop-off dates only. No early drop-offs.
Pick-Up Dates: Friday, Dec. 18, 12:00- 4:00 pm, Saturday- Sunday, Dec. 19-20, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Requirements & Terms for Entry:
- A completed entry form.
- Attach your name (and title if submitting multiple works) to the front. We use this tag to match your artwork with the wall label once it is hung. Do not attach this entry form to the artwork.
- Title or price changes after the time of the drop-off are not allowed. All info for wall label is taken from this form.
- Framing and hanging hardware is not required if artwork can be hung from stretcher bar.
- A donation of 30% to CAC is suggested on all sales in this exhibit.
- Artworks may not be removed prior to the close of the exhibition, nor will sold artworks be released early.
- Works submitted must be completely dry.
- Work determined by the director to be too fragile for safe handling and/or display will not be accepted.
- Works not picked up after 60 days will be considered abandoned and may become property of CAC.
By entering this exhibit, you agree to the following:
The Chico Art Center (CAC) shall not be liable to any participating artist or to any third party for losses, damages, consequential damages, or any injury that may result from participation in the exhibition. The artist agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold the CAC and the City of Chico harmless against any and all claims, demands, damages, fees, costs, and action of any kind asserted by or on behalf of any third party(ies) arising from the artist’s participation in the exhibition. Permission is released to the CAC to use images of entered artists and their artworks solely for purposes of documentation, education, and future publicity. Permission to sell displayed Artwork: I give Chico Art Center permission to sell my artwork displayed in the gallery. I understand payments will be made payable to me and I will be responsible for reporting the sale of my artwork. No tax will be collected.